Sunday, May 6, 2012


How is everyone doing tonight? We just finished up a quick two game series in Durham, North Carolina against the Durham Bulls, the Triple-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays and are on our way to Louisville, Kentucky. The travel time is scheduled for nine hours, but we usually make a pit stop at Burger King or McDonald's around midnight, so I'm guessing we pull into our hotel around 8 in the morning. I've been MIA the last few weeks so I figured this would be a good time to get back to writing a little bit since I've got spare time.

I've had a few interesting things happen to me in the past few days. Last week we played a series in Batavia, New York, which is always fun this time of year. Out of the four scheduled games one was cancelled because of rain and one because of a snow storm. Here's a look at the field about two hours into the storm.

When we got back home to Norfolk, Laura flew down for the weekend and decided to take me out for a belated birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris. In the middle of eating my filet I realized a giant portion of my 11oz steak was lodged in my throat/chest. For some reason in a moment of panic I thought the best idea was to throw up my entire dinner in the corner of the booth we were seated in. I know it sounds gross, but it saved my life. And I'm sorry Ruth's Chris.

A few days after embarrassing myself in front of a full restaurant I decided to foul a ball off of my left foot during my first at-bat of our game. I've missed the last two games in an attempt to regain the feeling I lost. I'm hoping I will be able to play in the game tomorrow. I actually thought I broke my foot the day after, but it was feeling much better today so that's a good sign I think.

At yesterday's game in Durham our game was delayed three hours because of heavy thunderstorms. Our 5 PM game finally began at 8PM even though there was still a light rain falling on the field. Around 8:30 the rain finally quit for five minutes, during which time every sprinkler on the field turned on and began soaking the field. I'm still convinced it was someone on our teams last ditch effort to get the game cancelled and allow us to watch the Mayweather vs. Cotto fight. Anyways, once the grounds crew figured out how to shut off the water it began to pour again and the game was officially postponed until the following day.

Well, that's all I've got for today. I've successfully cut down my travel time from nine hours to eight hours and forty minutes. Last night I feel asleep while watching Contraband with my main man Marky Mark. I think its time to finish that up. I hope you all enjoy your night!


  1. You're not the only one with strings of strange happenings! Haha, safe journey and good luck all season sir. . . .Go Tides

  2. OMG ! Your stories are sooooooo funny. I'm sitting here all by myself laughing out loud. I'll have to tell April & Scott to check out your up dated happings. How's the wedding plans going ? Please don't help Laura or you'll have another funny story to tell. Give Laura my reguards and be safe traveling .

  3. I don't know you Matt, but I was at the Durham game myself. I invited 10 Family members from New York to experience a AAA game. They had blown me off for the last 5 years and after dinner I finally got them to say yes and promised it would not rain and then it just could not stop raining. At least we got to see the funny sprinkler incident. I happen to know the pitcher.

    -Patrick in Durham