Tuesday, October 12, 2010


Well, I'm back. Back in good ole' Peoria, Arizona. It feels like I was just here only a few days ago, but it has actually been almost two months since I was rehabbing from my first surgery and attempting to get back on the field to finish the season.

I flew in last night, arriving around 10PM. It wasn't the easiest travel day of my life, but I eventually made it. I left Logan International Airport in Boston at 7AM and took the five and a half hour plane trip to Phoenix, Arizona. I quickly switched planes and continued for another hour to San Diego, where I jumped into a taxi and headed over to see our hand doctor. After a quick meeting with him I jumped back in a taxi and back to the airport, where after a two hour delay jumped back on a plane back to Phoenix. In all, the total trip took about fifteen hours, and finally getting into bed last night felt a lot like Christmas used to when I was 24 and would wait anxiously for Santa Claus to come down the chimney and eat my reindeer shaped sugar cookies I baked for him. Needless to say I was pretty excited.

This morning I woke up and quickly jumped back into my normal routine of heading over to our Spring Training complex for rehab work. As of right now, the game plan is to work on gaining back some mobility in my wrist, and also work on loosening up the scar tissue that has developed. Doesn't sound like the most exciting stuff in the world, and it isn't, but it is definitely the first step to getting me back to doing my normal stuff baseball wise. Right now the plan is continue this process for the next four weeks or so, but I'm hoping that my hand will start to recovery quickly and I can be back to lifting weights and doing baseball stuff a little sooner. Time will tell.

Being integrated back to "hotel life" isn't the easiest adjustment, but if I made it through the first few times without developing any new mental disorders or eating any of my limbs off out of boredom, I guess I can do it again. That is honestly the toughest part of the whole process. I am at the field from about 9 AM to 1 PM, so I have to find things to keep me occupied for the other 10+ hours. It gets tough to do without a car, kitchen, or XBOX. I brought a few books out, and will be watching the MLB playoffs and of course the NFL on Sundays and Mondays. I wish there was a way to recapture my five year old mentality when GI Joe's and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle figurines could keep me occupied for days on end. Maybe I'll walk over to Toys R Us tomorrow.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great week and if you have any ideas of exciting things to do to keep me alive let me know, I will gladly take your advice. I shall talk to you all later. Goodnight!
blog comments powered by Disqus